Shook Family Pump Organ on Display at the Shook-Smathers House
A Shook Family Pump Organ is now on display in the Shook-Smathers House thanks to the generosity of Judy Penland McCracken and her husband Alan G. McCracken. The organ had been in Judy’s family for more than 150 years. In 1849, Jacob Shook’s granddaughter, Emily, married George Newton Penland. The couple bought the home place and farm from the other Shook heirs and acquired the organ in the 1850s.
After George and Emily’s son, Rufus Long Penland married Callie Hampton Redmon, they inherited the house and organ. Later, their son James Rufus Penland and his wife Jewell Wood inherited the organ. Upon their deaths, their daughter Judy Penland McCracken and her husband Alan G. McCracken inherited the organ. Judy and Alan donated the organ and its original music book to the Haywood County Historical and Genealogical Society in 2016.
Granny Shook’s Platter Comes Home to the Shook-Smathers House
Shook descendant Rilla Griffin presented an antique platter to the Haywood County Historical and Genealogical Society in 2016. The painted platter had been handed down from mother to daughter through each generation over the past 200 years. It is believed that Isabella Shook began the tradition by giving the platter to her daughter Margaret in 1818. Rilla’s family had always referred to it as “Granny Shook’s Platter.” The platter is on display in the Museum at Shook-Smathers House. The Haywood County Historical and Genealogical Society appreciates Rilla’s thoughtfulness in allowing this Shook family treasure to be shared with Museum visitors (including many Shook descendants).